Dr. Michael Riley, D.C.
Founder, Renuva Back & Pain Centers
Look around you – wherever you are. How many people do you see? 10? 20? 100?
Did you know that 1 out every 4 of those people you see right now (I’m guessing if you’re reading this, you probably are one of them) are experiencing back pain?
Even worse, research shows that pretty much every person will experience back pain at some point in their life.
Pretty staggering statistic, huh? But… there is hope. I know, I know… seems kind of hard to believe there is an end to this suffering when you’re uncomfortable (and possibly panicking a little too).
The first thing to identify is if you’re experiencing acute back pain or chronic back pain.
If you’ve experienced pain for six weeks or less, it is considered acute back pain. If your pain has persisted for 6 to 12 weeks, you are experiencing chronic back pain.
95% of the time, people experience acute back pain (with low back pain being the biggest culprit), it usually goes away within 6 weeks with some of the 9 treatments discussed below.
However, if you are experiencing chronic back pain – that requires immediate help. If you are experiencing chronic or severe pain, skip these 9 tips to managing acute back pain and go straight to the section on managing chronic back pain, as you are likely suffering from a serious ailment that needs immediate medical attention.
Managing Acute and Mild Pain
Here are nine ways to manage your acute and mild back pain:
- Use Ice. Ice is much better than heat because heat can create additional inflammation. It’s best to ice your back within the first 24 to 48 hours after an injury or onset of pain for maximum reduction in inflammation.
- Keep Moving. Your body is designed to move and heal itself. Keep doing your daily activities, just don’t overdo it.
- Get Strong. The issues that cause chronic low back pain typically stem from a lack of strength in your core. Strength in your core helps you maintain the proper posture and alignment of your spine. Having strong hip, back, and abdominal muscles gives you more stability and support.
- Stretch. Don’t sit in your chair slumped all day. Get up at least every 30 minutes and stretch and walk. People find relief from their pain by doing regular stretching, walking, and even yoga.
- Focus on Your Posture. Make sure you are not slumping as this makes it harder for your back to support your weight. Use ergonomic furniture or a back support when sitting.
- Use Orthotics. Custom foot orthotics can adjust the alignment in your hips and back. The cause of most chronic pain has to do with misalignment and bio-mechanical issues in your legs, pelvis, hips, and spine. (We provide FootLevelers custom orthotics at Renuva. If this is something you’re interested in learning more about, give us a call).
- Stop Smoking. If you are a smoker, smoking can increase your risk for osteoporosis and other bone problems. Osteoporosis can in turn lead to compression fractures of the spine.
- Watch Your Weight. Being overweight puts excess stress on your spine and leads to misalignment of the spine and bio-mechanical issues that result in chronic pain.
- Try an Over-the-Counter Anti-Inflammatory Pain Reliever. Anti-inflammatory pain relievers such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen help with acute pain management. Check with your doctor or pharmacist about any interactions over-the-counter pain relievers may have with other medications you are taking or problems that may be caused from your prior medical history.
Chronic and Severe Pain
Well, if you’ve made it this far that likely means you have tried many of the things listed above without relief. Don’t lose hope! There is good news. Many people with chronic pain are finally finding relief without drugs or surgery.
First, if your back pain is severe, has persisted for 6 to 12 weeks or longer, or hurts even while you’re at rest, then you are experiencing chronic back pain – and chronic and severe pain is likely being caused by biomechanical issues in your body that need to be corrected, otherwise the pain could get worse. Masking the pain will just lead to additional injury and could make your pain worse in the long run (have you ever tried driving a car with flat tires? Yeah – it’s kind of like that).
The Cause of Most Chronic Back Pain
Time – this is honestly the biggest culprit. As you get older OR continue through life with back pain that is left untreated (Yes, I know how busy you are. No, it’s still not a good idea to ignore it.), the discs in between your vertebrae in your spine compresses, degenerate, or is injured – and your discs can start bulging from the pressure of the spine. Your disc gets weaker and weaker until it eventually collapses (think Gallagher, but not with melons and a mallet).
Spinal degeneration usually begins with a vertebra that is out of alignment. Some subluxations may take years before the pain manifests itself. The surfaces of the vertebrae can become rough and uneven, eventually causing the discs to compress and lose fluid along with their cushions. The nerves become irritated and send pain signals, which becomes chronic, causing most back pain, neck pain, Sciatica and Neuropathy.
To fix this, you must treat the degeneration. If you can stop the degeneration and even correct some of it, your pain will be reduced, and your body can begin the process of healing itself like it was designed to do!
The Solution: CoreCare
And that’s what we do at Renuva Back and Pain Centers – we help you resolve your pain without surgery or medications and help your body heal itself.
To treat the cause of pain and reverse the process of spinal degeneration, we developed CoreCareTM. CoreCare is a 5-phase treatment program that treats the cause of pain and get people back to living their life. Our goal with each patient is to correct their problem and promote healing, not to simply mask the pain.
Just a heads up… if you found value in this blog and want to stop now, that’s totally fine. From here on out, I’m going to tell you more about CoreCare and how we can help you treat your chronic back pain. We’re pretty good at what we do – a 95% success rate – but I don’t want you to feel pressured to come in. We’re not for everyone – but, if you’d like to see if you’re a candidate for CoreCare, then read on…
CoreCare: Your First Option to Treat Your Pain
CoreCare is a first of its kind comprehensive, non-surgical and drug-free approach to treating spine related pain with the combination of FDA approved leading-edge technology and proven therapies that deliver pain relief. With over a 95% success rate with our patients, Renuva offers a predictable solution to chronic pain.
In CoreCare we:
- Treat the source of the pain to achieve relief as fast as possible. Treating the source of pain involves restoring the space between discs, reversing the process of degeneration, restoring the natural curvature of your back and neck, removing pressure on the nerves, and reducing inflammation.
- Improve structure and strength. CoreCare improves the structure of your spine and muscle strength to fight against and prevent degenerative related conditions that cause pain. This involves increasing the range of motion in the spine, strengthening the muscles in your core, and improving your posture long-term.
- Restore function. CoreCare restores function so the body can heal properly and fight against disease related conditions that cause pain which involves improving nutrition, removing toxins, and reducing interference with the nervous system.
How to See if CoreCare Will Work For You
At Renuva, we are in the business of life transformation. We don’t just want to treat your pain, we want to help you get your life back.
The only way to find out if CoreCare will work for you is to schedule an appointment. We make scheduling an appointment easy! Simply call the number, or click the button below. You will be greeted by one of our friendly schedulers who can find the next appointment that works best for your schedule.
I will go through specifically the cause of your problem and see if our CoreCare treatment program can help you for only $59. If it won’t help you, I promise to tell you so – and we’ll even refund your $59 too!
Our examination process seeks to identify the exact cause of your pain before giving you a treatment recommendation. In fact, we hear from our patients that we are the only place where the doctor has taken the time and effort to truly explain the cause of their pain.
What does this offer include? Everything we normally do in our CoreCare Evaluation:
- An in-depth consultation about your health and well-being where I will listen…really listen…to the details of your case.
- A complete neuromuscular evaluation and x-rays (if needed – NOTE: These would normally cost you at least $100).
- A full evaluation to determine if a spinal problem is contributing to your pain or symptoms.
- A thorough analysis of our findings so we can start mapping out your treatment plan.
- You’ll get to see everything first hand and find out if this amazing treatment will be your pain solution, like it has been for so many other patients.
- Plus, two CoreCare treatments to see if we can help!
This is normally $257, but, this month we are offering a special for only $59
Since we’ll refund your $59 if you aren’t a candidate (meaning you have nothing to lose), don’t you owe it to yourself to see if CoreCare will work for you?
Call us to schedule 855-573-6882 or Click Here To Claim Your $59* Back Pain special offer with Renuva